5 Things You Need to Know About Celtics’ New Big Man Xavier Tillman
The Celtics have made their move just ahead of the NBA trade deadline, adding Xavier Tillman from the Memphis Grizzlies. Here’s a breakdown of what this means for Boston:
- Defensive Fortitude: Tillman brings some much-needed strength to the Celtics’ frontcourt, particularly in defense. With players like Kristaps Porzingis and Al Horford, Boston already had talent, but Tillman adds depth, crucial for a playoff run.
- College Career: Tillman played college ball close to home at Michigan State, where he made a name for himself as a defensive stalwart. His dedication to the game, driven by providing for his young daughter, caught the attention of scouts.
- Defensive Stats: Tillman’s numbers speak volumes about his defensive prowess. He ranks highly in Estimated Plus-Minus and opponents struggle to score against him inside six feet. These stats make him a valuable asset, especially in playoff matchups.
- Playoff Performance: Last postseason, Tillman stepped up when the Grizzlies needed him most, showcasing his ability to perform under pressure. His contributions in the playoffs demonstrate his readiness for big moments.
- Offensive Limitations: While Tillman excels defensively, Celtics fans shouldn’t expect him to light up the scoreboard. His offensive game is not as polished, but his defensive contributions make him a valuable addition nonetheless.
Overall, Tillman’s arrival adds depth and defensive strength to the Celtics, setting them up for a strong postseason run.